Banda de Ipanema

February 13, 2011

The pre-Carnival season has officially begun. Yes, Rio's people "Cariocas" are so cool that they have a pre-Carnival season (now until March 3), official Carnival season (March 4-8), and post-Carnival rejuvenation period (March 9-11, for example, at my university UFRJ).  

On Saturday, I watched the rehearsal of the samba band "Banda de Ipanema".  (I was originally supposed to tour a portion of Rio's coast by car, but one of the people going was sick, so we are going to reschedule for another day.) I'm really glad I had the chance to see this band practice. Even the practice itself turned into a street party afterwards.  

Here are a few photographic impressions from the day. If you want to know more about any photo in particular, leave me a comment and I'll try to answer your question.  You can also check out my Picasa Web album for more photos of the Banda de Ipanema and other events around Rio.  













Click here for more photos.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

super fun! still have some catching up to do with some of your posts, but it looks like you're having a blast! these pictures really make your trip come alive for me :)