As I showed the students around the university campus and parts of the city, I realized I know these areas better than I thought. Between walks on the beach, endless pay-by-the-kilo restaurants, and bizarre street-sign explanations, I realized that while I may still be an estrangeira, I still know Rio better than most tourists and I now have my own stories and soundtracks to supplement the typical city guide. And yes, I have thought to myself that if there weren't people to see and places to be back home, I could surely stay a while longer ...
In the next few days, I will have two final university meetings: one with each of my Brazilian advisors. I didn't get nearly as far as I had laid out in my pre-semester research plan and I never did get to present my research progress to the department (my fault, not theirs), but I am still relatively content with what I did accomplish. I learned how engineering research is conducted at a typical Brazilian university, I learned about the state of life cycle assessment and other sustainable engineering analyses in Brazil, and I learned more than I could have ever imagined about sugarcane ethanol production in Brazil. While I could have gathered much of this knowledge in the U.S. by poking around online and finding the pertinent contacts, one of the biggest advantages of working directly on a Brazilian unviersity campus proved to be my colleagues' desire to make sure I understood. Perhaps they didn't want me misrepresenting Brazil in the U.S., but for whatever reason, I am truly thankful. Several times, people started spewing forth as many names as I could possibly write down at once: "X is interesting, and so are Y and Z. In São Paulo, A worked with B, who then conducted multiple projects with C, D, and E [...]" and so on and so on. E-mail is a poor medium for such spontaneity.
Today I am preparing my semester summary for my Brazilian advisors, detailing what I have accomplished while under their guidance and describing my plans for the next few months. (I intend to finish this PhD by April 2012!) After my final meeting Tuesday afternoon, I will leave the campus island of Fundão and set my sights on the greater South American continent. For the month of July, I have the distinct pleasure of being a nomad (of the graduate-student thesis-writing type). My only restriction is that I return to Rio by July 30 for my flight back to the U.S. There are so many possibilities, many of which pull me in completely different directions, so expect a travel calendar in one of my upcoming posts. Tchau for now!
You never know where the path may lead. (Parque da Cidade)
No comments:
Post a Comment