I just returned from a farewell lunch with my good friend Dani, a Carioca who took me under her wing and showed me her city for these past six months. Dani is leaving at midnight tonight for two weeks in England. Since I just returned from Manaus yesterday and she leaves for England tonight, today was literally the last possible day we could say our good-byes. (We didn't want to say them too soon!)
We decided to go to an organic buffet restaurant in Leblon, one that I had passed many times and had never tried. It was worth it! Afterwards, we walked further into Leblon--almost to the beach--for dessert at a cute little café. I like the café for its "homey" atmosphere and friendly waitstaff. Today they had telenovelas, or Brazilian soap operas, playing on TV. We tried to get the check during what was apparently a dramatic scene, so we had to wait a few minutes, but we weren't in too much of a rush, so it was okay.
Dani and I also brought gifts for each another. My gifts for Dani combined the practical with the cute. On the practical side, I brought her a notebook from the University of Pittsburgh (where I study in the U.S.), and on the cute side, I brought her a miniature woven-fiber purse that I had bought in Bahia. We were apparently thinking along the same lines because she also gave me a purse--this time with the wave pattern that covers many of the walkways and beaches in Rio--and she also gave me an adorable brigadeiro keychain. (Brigadeiros are the Brazilian chocolate delicacies that really are one of a kind.) In addition to the purse and keychain, Dani's father also recorded two DVDs of the televised Carnaval parades for me--I can hardly wait to watch them!
Here's everything together:
Dani and I both agree that my six months in Rio passed more quickly than either of us could have imagined. It seems like just yesterday we were making plans for Carnaval at the Sambódromo. Now we are both embarking on new journeys: Dani to England (her first transatlantic flight!) and me back to the U.S. for my final year of grad school.
So it may be time for us to go our separate ways, but I for one, will never forget my time here in Rio. It would never have been the same without you, Dani! Obrigada por tudo e até a próxima vez!
No comments:
Post a Comment